Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Weekend Festivities and Table Mountain

Its been a filled last few days since I updated so I will surely miss some things along the way! Friday we went to Green Market Square after lunch to find some African souvenirs etc. It was extremely overwhelming but the stuff was very cool! I picked up some gifts for people but will have to go back once I've sharped my bartering skills. Every person/tent we passed yelled they had a good price and to stop in a look around that everything was 'half off today!' it was craziness! I did end up with some really great stuff though. I just need to stop laughing and smiling when I give them a number half of what they said they would sell it for! That evening we went out on the town to a few places and ended up at the Dubliner. The band was great but there weren't many locals so we will have to explore a bit more. It was a great evening with great company!

Saturday we ended up going to the vineyards instead of Cape Point because the weather was pretty bad. We ended up doing a Brandy tasting tour at one of the places...bad plan. Chalk it up to another thing I can say I've experienced!

Sunday was a much prettier day and we took the train into Simon's Town to see the Jackass Penguins, now known as African Penguins, but I like the old name better! They bray like donkeys kind of so that is why they were termed that. It was really nice and now we know a different side of travel here in the city.

I also went on the most beautiful run of my life on Sunday afternoon! I ran a ways past our house and up to this open tall grass clearing that was recommended by the staff here. There were trails throughout the entire space and there was about no way you could get lost because any way I went there was another trail heading back towards where I came. I will definitely be going back! The entire run I was looking up at a mist covered Table Mountain and you don't get better than that!

Last night we went to Dizzy's in Camps Bay and had a great night of Karaoke! We met a few people who live in Cape Town and had said it would be a good time. So we met up with them and it turned out to be really fun! Good company and karaoke is always a winning combo :)

Today was the best day so far I think! I finally got to climb table mountain!!!!! It was incredibly strenuous! That was unexpected because no one really warned me but it felt really good all the way up and then right at the top my legs just started turning to jello! Everyone seemed to feel the same way and I was really proud of our group that made it to the top! Plus today was 70+ degrees so it was a warm hike. Perfect weather for pictures and once we got to the top though. I hope I never get over how absolutely beautiful it is here and how lucky I am that I get to experience it!

I want to make a side note that I apologize for not discussing my placement. It has been quite a struggle for me so far, I am practically babysitting 12 babies and toddlers everyday and am working on trying to see the good in that for my education. If things don't change soon I will likely be moved to a new place so I will be keeping everyone posted on that. That is supposed to be the focus of my trip and much of my time currently is spent trying not to focus on that...

Tomorrow we are going to Bo Kaap which is a traditional African town in the midst of cosmopolitan Cape Town and I have heard wonderful things about it. It is one of the places I was most excited to see when I came here so I hope its a great day :)

I'll update again soon!

peace & love,
Alyssa

1 comment:

  1. bo kaap? sounds like the south african version of bill knapps.

    continue the fun and advocate for yourself!!!! we miss ya here!

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete