Thursday, May 14, 2009

Robben Island

Molo! I'm learning the Xhosa language while here in Cape Town so I can at least say hello and ask people how they are doing who do not speak English. In other words, Molo means hello! and there are no clicks in that one but there are in pronouncing Xhosa :) I can do two of the clicks and sometimes get the third so I'm doing better than I thought. Ill practice and show/tell you when I get home!

Started my placement on Tuesday and its been interesting so far. I use that word because its not what I expected and I am a little apprehensive about what this experience is going to mean for my internship but I am trying to stay open-minded. The babies are adorable, I am working currently with 6-9 toddlers from 1-4 years of age. Only two of them really talk, but they speak Xhosa so its been very difficult being left to practically babysit them not speaking their language. Needless to say Ive learned to ask them their names, say sit down, be quiet, sing, yes, no, stop and thank you! They looked at me very funny when I came in the second day being able to speak to them a little bit since we didn't have our first language lesson until Tuesday night.

All of our time so far has been pretty packed tight! We are all pretty exhausted because there are a number of people only staying for 3 or 4 weeks so we have to pack A LOT into a short time. I figured I would stay out of the planning for now since I have so much more time after they leave. We went to Robben Island yesterday to see Nelson Mandela's cell and hear about the history of the personal and political oppression experienced by so many detained at the prison. It was very interesting. Especially the story of Robert Sobukwe- look it up it is very sad and powerful, especially for us Community Organizers out there!

After our walking and bus tour on the island we went to dinner at a Portuguese restaurant on the waterfront, but we had them close the windows because there is a strong smell of bird or seal poo just about everywhere along the water! But the views are unbelievable so I would still absolutely make you go there if you enter the Cape Town vicinity. Then we went for a drink at the Green Dolphin - a jazz club also along the waterfront. It was really nice and will be taking the parents there when they arrive :)

Today everyone was exhausted when we got back from placement and we had a 2 hour HIV/AIDS workshop and everyone struggled to stay awake. After that a few people took naps and then we went into Rondebosch to pick up a few necessary items, like snacks. Tonight's dinner has been the first that was actually filling and pretty good. Ill probably be eating a lot of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, sorry Cara!!

This weekend we are heading to a market and out on the town Friday after placement, Saturday we are heading to Cape of Good Hope and Cape Point, and Sunday starts off our adventuresome activities with shark diving! I hope they come real close and hit the cage at least a little ;)

Okay I will update again after the weekend...

peace & love.
Alyssa

2 comments:

  1. Molo! You sound incredibly busy! I hope you are finding your field work challenging and meaningful. Enjoy all your travels...can't wait to hear about your shark-diving experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay! sounds like fun! bring me home a penguin, please. i want to call him felix.

    as for the peanut butter, i suppose that's acceptable for now, but don't expect to pull those shenanigans when you arrive back in the states! ;)

    LOVE YOU! xox.

    ReplyDelete